Friday, February 12, 2010

This is the Start of Something Good

The time has finally arrived: I am on my way to begin my overseas adventure in Auckland, New Zealand. I've dreamed about going to New Zealand like most girls dream about their wedding day. My infatuation with this country began in the seventh grade when Lauren Thomson, a kiwi singer-songwriter landed on my doorstep. She came to study abroad for a year in the United States. During this time, I found out about New Zealand and why there is so much to love about this country. Sure it's the land of major motion pictures, sheep, and rugby. It's even the hometown for the Flight of the Choncords. But, there is so much more to love. Every person who ever came to visit from down under has impressed me with their charm, vigor, and passion for life. So I am off to spend 5 months studying, traveling, and living the dream of a wanna be Kiwi.

Before I could leave snowy Kansas City I had to overcome one great obsticale: packing... How does one pack for 5 months? That's a great question. I had no clue what to bring or how to stuff everything in my two suitcases. I packed, and repacked about three times that day. It was a process. I didn't want to overpack, and I also didn't want to leave anything worth having at home. Eventually, I had everything ready to go. My family weighed my bags on the Wii Fit to make sure they wouldn't be overweight. I'm sure I'll be frantically looking for something I left back at home soon enough. But for now... all my bags are packed, I'm ready to go.

Saying goodbye was hard. I think the longest I've ever been out of contact with my family was the two weeks I spent in the Everglades with dolphins and mangroves. I wanted to take the time to sit down and tell the people I love how much they mean to me and how grateful I am to have them in my life. But alas, the best I could do was give them a quick call or a huge hug. Good part about this is that it's really not "goodbye", it's just "see you later". I'm going to miss my dogs. New Zealand doesn't quite understand dogs as pets. They are only good for sheep herding. I beg to differ. Rocky, my Shitz Zu is the perfect lap dog and foot warmer. Who is going to patiently and happily great me when I wake up in the mornings by wagging their tail? If only I could've snuck him past customs.

We hauled my bags into the van and made our way to KCI. I teared up a little in the car, but I refused to cry. I figured if I started, I'd set off a domino effect. I was impressed by the persistence my brother-in-law and father had about getting off work to send me off. They were bound and determine to see me get on the airplane. We got my bags checked outside in the freezing cold. I got to see my breath in the air for one last time, and then I headed in to board. I gave everyone one last hug and goodbye and then I made my way to the gate.

The flight was pretty laidback. I sat next to a father-daughter duo who was on their way to college search. Most of the flight, I found myself listening to my I-Pod and making feeble attempts to sleep. I'm terrible at sleeping on airplanes. I had a complimentary drink of Bailey's and coffee to warm me up. My stomach tossed and turned. I think it's just nerves. When we began to land I saw the father sitting in front of me reach out to hold his son's hand, as the plane came down to land. I thought it was pretty endearing. I'm a sucker for familys. Then we finally arrived. "I hopped out the plane at LAX with my dream and a cardigan" It was epic.


LA is truly an incredible city: it has the best of both worlds. I loved Colorado for the mountains, but I couldn't exactly picture myself living there because of the cold. Here, it's always sunny and has a picturesque mountainside view along the coast. My Uncle Ron came to collect me and my excessive baggage from the airport. It was great to see a familiar face. I'm excited for my mini-vacation here before I leave. Maybe I'll bump into a few famous people, eat good food, and spend some time on the beach.


This concludes the beginning of my first blog. I can't promise that these rantings will be any good, but I'll try my best to have an amazing experience full of adventures that are story worthy. For now, this is just the start of something good.


No comments:

Post a Comment